Topic wk beg 18th May
Below, Mr Cole has recorded a reading of Escape From Pompeii – have a look at the videos above if you haven’t heard the story yet or if you would like a reminder.
If you would like to see the book in full, there is also a telling on YouTube here:
This week, we would like you to write a diary as if you escaped Pompeii like Tranio and Livia did. Plan the diary with a comic strip first. You could use the template below:
Break your day into sections. For each section, draw a picture of what is happening.
- Where were you at the start of the day? Think about something a Roman child might be doing.
- What clues did you see to know that Vesuvius was going to erupt soon? Remember that the people of Pompeii possibly didn’t even know that Vesuvius was a volcano or at least didn’t believe that it would erupt.
- Describe what you saw when the volcano erupted.
- How did you escape from the city? Was there anyone else with you?
- Looking back at Pompeii and Vesuvius as you left, how did you feel?
Click the splat below for a video of the eruption and a task to do.
When you write, try to use interesting sentence openers like these:
Here are some tips for what to include in your diary: