Space, Shape and Measure
By the end of Reception, our aim is for most children to be able to:
- use everyday language to talk about size, weight, capacity, position, distance, time and money to compare quantities and objects and to solve problems.
- recognise, create and describe patterns.
- explore characteristics of everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language to describe them.
Below are some fun games you can play at home to develop each of these (more to follow shortly):
- Repeating patterns continuing the pattern: www.topmarks.co.uk/ordering-and-sequencing/shape-patterns
- Comparing height and length finding tallest and shortest: www.topmarks.co.uk/early-years/lets-compare
- Sorting coins: www.topmarks.co.uk/money/coins-game
- Using 1p to make amounts up to 10p: www.topmarks.co.uk/money/toy-shop-money