Links to book ideas
Books We've Read this Year
World Book Day Book Recommendations
On World Book Day, the children brought in books they wanted to recommend to others of a similar age. Here are their books and their reasons why:
Stories About Magic
Recommended by the Children
Also by Philip Pullman
Note: There are plenty more by Philip Pullman that may be suitable for some readers but might be a little heavy going or mature for others.
Also by Satoshi Kitamura
More King Coo
Books that were important to me at primary school:
- The start of the Harry Potter series (the rest came out while I was in secondary).
- The Twits and the Witches (though both terrified me).
- James and the Giant Peach
- Any and all Horrible Histories.
- Holes by Louis Sachar.
- The Ha Ha Bonk Book (I used to love joke books).
- The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg.
- DK Encyclopedias about anything.
- Dinosaur Poems by Korky Paul.
Children's Books that I have enjoyed as a teacher (these would be a tough independent read! Perhaps better for shared stories):
- Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
- The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman
- The Explorer by Katherine Rundell
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
- The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney